Sunday, July 20, 2014

The 2-hour...euh, no... 2-year project.

Just over two years ago, I came across this Ikea Fira unit at Value Village and though I wasn't sure exactly how I would use it in my craft room, I bought it and planned to modify it. It was one of my spring break projects.



I painted it with a $1.00 mistinted paint from Home Depot.



I découpaged the drawer fronts (one of the first projects I ever did with Mod Podge).



I découpaged the top of the unit.



And then I put the unit to work.



It was so much fun, that I was ecstatic to find another unit, two weeks later, on Kijiji.



I painted it.


And it sat on my shelf for two years, containing glue, fancy scissors, etc. Looking rather forlorn.

Until now.

I FINALLY added some interest to the drawers. I did 5 coats of Mod Podge in a matte finish.


Two years later, here it is!


It's unfortunate that the Fira is no longer sold at Ikea. It became the Moppe, and then got dropped from Canadian Ikea stores. I'm happy with the two that I have, especially now that they are colourful additions to my office/craft space.






No comments:

Post a Comment