Thursday, July 17, 2014

Room to Create: Part 1

My office/craft room always seems to need help. When I first moved into my house, this room had dark red walls. A couple of years later, I picked a bright green (Seedling by Benjamin Moore). I still enjoy the colour because it's fresh and energizing for me.  

Fast-forward a couple of years, and I undertook a bookshelf-painting adventure when I decided that all of my bookshelves (two previously owned and two thrift-store acquisitions) needed to be painted the same colour. Grey (Fashion Gray by Behr) was the colour that won the contest against white. The bookshelves have fared well over the last four years.



(These photos are from two years ago). 

This summer, one of my objectives was to increase the organization in this room. I moved the futon up from the basement to accommodate the renter who moved in last summer, so this became a guest room/craft room/office. It was alright, but the office chair was restricted and I started to become convinced that I needed a different layout.



Once the basement renovations are complete (hopefully next month???) I would be able to move the futon back downstairs, but I kind of like having a soft surface in this room, other than the carpet. :)

Oh yeah, the basement is being renovated thanks to the lovely sewage backup that happened a few months ago. Talk about a learning experience on several levels...

Last week, I got some ideas from a conversation with my friend Heidi about additional storage above the tallest of the bookshelves. I was looking at Ikea's Billy height extension, but I didn't like the price at $35 because I would have wanted two of them. The bookshelf in my craft room isn't a Billy, but the dimensions would have worked, along with some hardware to stabilize the units.

Lowe's saved the day! I got 2 Closetmaid stackable organizers for $38 plus tax. I finally put them together on Sunday and things went from this:



to this:



I was going to paint the stackable organizers grey, to match the bookshelves, but I ran out of steam. I like the extra storage space enough not to worry about the colour for the moment. I'll describe what I changed with the three other bookshelves in a while. I'm on the hunt for more fabric today!

No comments:

Post a Comment