Monday, July 14, 2014

Creating what, exactly?

So I've challenged myself to have a creative summer. I know. Really original, right? The thing is, each summer, once my classroom is all tidy and my regular alarm clock is set to "whenever" instead of 5:30 a.m., I generally spend 3 weeks doing a whole lot of nothing. Eating. Movies. Window shopping. More movies. Sleeping in until 8 a.m. And then, in week 4, the panic ensues. "I had this long list of things to get done and now I'm running out of time! I'm leaving for (insert destination here) and I need to pack! I need to get such-and-such project underway for school, even though it's only the middle of the summer! I don't have time anymore!!!"

During the last three summers, I spent serious chunks of time completing courses for my M.Ed. This is the first summer in a long while when I have actually had the entire summer to just be on vacation. Maybe I should actually frame my M.Ed. degree?

I was speaking with my friend Kendra a couple of weeks ago, and she was talking about art journalling and other fabulous ideas that I have yet to try. All of a sudden, a lightbulb went on in my head. I asked myself, "Why not use this summer to meet the objective of being creative? Learn something new! Try something different! Clean your sewing machine!"

It sounds strange to give one's self permission to be creative, but it's what I needed to do. It took away the self-imposed stress of trying to decide on a PLAN to go somewhere far, far away. It also helped to diminish the weight of the renos that my basement will be under within a few days. Since I'm not doing the renos with my own two hands, all I foresaw was dust and mud and noise. Talk about relaxing!

So my objective for the summer of 2014 (and beyond) is to make my right brain happy. (See? You finally have an explanation for this blog's title!) These last 2 weeks have been entertaining. I expect nothing less from week 3. Go, right brain, go!

No comments:

Post a Comment