Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Secret Project: The End

Since I hadn't sewn anything in many years, I decided to try my hand at something simple before diving into lengthier projects. My sister is expecting a baby, and I found this tutorial for a diaper pouch and changing pad online.  It looked fairly simple to follow, so I decided that I was up to the challenge. I soon learned that "simple" comes in several levels of complexity!

The changing pad was by far the most complicated part of this project for me because of the multiple layers and the bias tape. Mary from Craft Buds gave really great instructions and has perfect stitching. I blame user error for all the trouble that I had. :)

The patterned fabrics are all from Walmart, the fusible interfacing and the PUL (polyurethane laminated fabric) that I used are from Fabricland.

I think I might avoid rounding the corners of the changing pad next time.

Here's the finished product. The larger pocket is supposed to hold diapers and a thin container of wipes. I have neither of those in my house at present. 


Another angle...


The changing pad is quite thin, so it folds up really nicely to fit into the outer pocket. 


Go ahead. Judge my stitches. Oh, and while you're at it, here's an explanation for the blue lines. I stitched two pieces of fusible interfacing together because I didn't have any of the fancy double-sided stuff. Since I wanted to avoid the pieces shifting all over the place, I decided to do a sort of box stitch (like the sort you see on quilts, or even on the futon cover in the photos). However, in my haste,  it didn't even occur to me to change the colour of the thread that I was using!  I say it adds character.
Ha!



Here's the bright orange PUL fabric that I chose for the backing. The waterproof lining is actually on the inside. The dimensions of the changing pad are about 14 by 24 inches.



I think I would do much better if I tried this again, now that I know what to expect. I obviously need more practice with corners and bias tape! 

Still, I'm quite proud of my first sewing project after a LOOOOOOOOONG hiatus. I wonder what my high school sewing teacher, Mrs. Russell, would think. 







No comments:

Post a Comment